Friday 26 July 2024

Emery Woodall Jr, 1927-2020.

I got to know this man in 2004 after having crashed during descent on the D64 road from Col de la Bonette to Barcellonnette. I've learnt about ice as a good way to treat my swollen knee, thin tires for 26'' wheels and perhaps that a road bike would be more suitable for my purposes. And the story about him taking part in liberating one of German concentration camps in 1945,
skiing experience etc.

A year after I spent two days at the same place and we've had another chat - about dried herbs helping him with cartilage or joint problems, cycling techniques, the need to rest and so on. He seemed very friendly and helpful, but strange in some ways; most likely as a result of loneliness that I understand full well nowadays myself.

Strangely, I remembered the man throughout the years of cycling in the Alps (and climbing). I visited Barcelonnette once again in 2016 on my way to Lac de Serre-Poncon. Asking at the campsite, I was told that he no longer lived there in a van, but rather in some house nearby.

R.I.P., mentor.

No comments:

Post a Comment