Monday 5 October 2020

pcmanfm became slow

lubuntu 20.04 rant, continued
 

 

        PCmanfm. The second greatest file manager. And we're running it on the celebrated lubuntu-20.04. Praise the Lord! My benchmark: move like 4-5 files (each has hundreds of KiB up to few MB at most - photos, not very recent and not made by decent cameras) between two subdirectories on a new SSD drive. Takes literally a few seconds if I try doing that between two windows of PCmanfm and a mouse. My gear is a 2013 Optiplex 7010, 8GB or RAM, i5 3470 CPU, 4 threads. The thing doesn't downclock below 2.8GHz. You guys serious? :) I am. My plan for today's evening is - once I'm back from a little spin - is surely to open that qt-terminal* and type "apt install mc". The greatest file manager of all time.

PS In 18.04 PCmanfm works just great. As everything does. Yes, gnuplot and Inkscape crash from time to time, and one c#/mono IDE is slow. But it's no big deal.

PPS My blacklist of filesystems on which 20.04's installer fails, has grown bigger. ext4 - the default one. And it gives yet another error message. xfs seems still the safest choice for me. If I'm going to stick to 20.04 afterall...


uncle Vlad.

*the question there though, "are you sure you want to quit?", or so. Don't ask again... "do you really want to paste...?" - shit...!

No comments:

Post a Comment