Wednesday 18 September 2024

Windoze 10 & removable media

Another 10 minutes of trying to have Windoze 10 umount my external disk... Nope. 5 minutes to get mad, 3 seconds of googling, boom:

sick to death of "the device is in use by another process..." 
Why <removed> can't Microsoft figure this out? It has to be the number one topic from people who are fed up with it. If I go through the proper procedure to eject a usb drive, half of the time it gives me this stupid error and I wind up having to shut the computer down to remove the drive. If Windows can tell me something is using the drive, WHY <removed> can't it figure out WHAT is using it so I can shut it down? Why should the user have to trudge into task manager and try to figure out what's using the drive? Windows has only been around since the 80s, so you'd think 40 years would be enough time to solve this. Come on, this is ridiculous.

Today I was faced with a similar problem of being unable to remove some trashy-post-legacy-software-install directory. I started killing some processes and it helped. But, I found out Skype is there, up and running. And either sending or getting some data. Wow. Its autolaunch has been off for years and I don't use it. Same with phonelink - whatever this piece of trash is.

And I thought I've done everything in order to prevent MS from nagging me about my phone number, "for safety purposes" of course.

C#-dev-kit codelens is braindead. Counts two references of a declared property that is referenced once. And in some other class, it's only one self-reference (or declaration) counted, but the property is used some 2-3 times. Perhaps in some other namespace.

My guess: it's some chat-zhepeto at work doing the obsoleted humans' job.


Funny thing: if I click the "remove ..." some 10+ times (not waiting for the dreaded message box), it finall show the notification that the disk can be "safely removed". After it's physically removed, the notification keeps popping up as many times I have clicked the icon before minus 1.

That's why I love Windoze so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment