Tuesday 13 September 2022

another nice quote

I read this on Stimulsoft's page. I'm somewhat familiar with their work - a .net framework "reporting" stuff. It's been bought by my employer over 10 years ago, and it just works. But reading

On November 8, 2021, Microsoft company officially announced the .NET 6 release. This is a popular platform for software development.

Unfortunately, this led to some difficulties in the work of software products. The thing is that Microsoft company decided that the System.Drawing.Common library is compatible only with Windows. This was done due to the inability to fix errors in third-party operating systems - macOS and Linux.

I laughed really hard, which is healhy. Thank you. I'm really curious what kind of errors Microsoft finds in "third-party" OSes. Or, did they mean, Microsoft fails to make its products run on *nix + X or whatever is there on mac-es? That's ok to me... Perhaps they should have their OS fixed in the first place. Memory consumption after it boots would be a good starting point. And stop treating users as imbeciles. My favorite: right-click to create an empty text file (there is no other choice). But I want an xml, say, or tex. And...


But the gooey works, of course. I mean - the intentions are from the "fool-proof" world, making products safe for userbase that is full of fools. Myself included. But the new file? Unusable? Give me a break... (An hour?)

I'm not into writing my own "reporting" stuff. I'm pretty sure the pdf part would be processed by LaTeX, just because I have some 20+ years positive experience with it, in fact I rarely use the "wysiwyg" stuff. But I'm not into forcing users to install the whole TeX distribution... Or should we just make report templates using that, and then pretend it's TeX by taking some of its (super beautiful according to my taste) fonts and telling PdfSharp to use these instead of the "standard" ones?

But the gui and template design is more than tough to me. All I wrote until now was some scratch-like thing - an xml file with cells' definitions: names, coordinates, then making a dictionary of <string, Func<object, string>>. Keys are cells' names and values basically make data ready for "print" - taking some documents' fields, formatting them, taking care of special cases and "document logic" (fucked up by the institution that demands its use anyway...). Finally - processing data and feeding some clever PdfSharp functions that can draw many things (strings included, luckily) over a pdf template file. After it was ready and running (more or less...) I learned I could have made something similar with a 100 clicks in Sti-designer, just by introducing the pdf or bml template as a background and placing textboxes on top of that. Lazy learning...

No comments:

Post a Comment