Friday 16 September 2022

win file explorer stupidity

This shit's behavior is ultra-weird. I had to look up the python executable on Win. After quite a long time I got some results. (The search took surprisingly long on an ssd drive + a decent i7; I thought "indexing" makes that faster. On Linux your search results are there before you have lifted your finger off the Enter key. Nevermind, as the late Mr Combine used to say (or Weird Al Yankovich, in the cover version ;).

So, there was dozens of places with stuff resembling "python*.exe", I had yet to figure out which one is being launched when a python "project" or "solution" is being run or debugged in VS. It was late already, so I put Windoze to sleep and returned to the stuff the next day. 

But first I had to do something else involving the files, so as not to lose the search results from yesterday, so I pressed the File -> Open new window. And that one started the same search. Regardless of the choice if it's a child window of the running instance of Explorer, or a "new process". 

Developers, developers, developers, developers... (it's not a bug, it's a feature ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment